Jon (he/him) met his wife Nikki (she/her), while both were serving as Peace Corps Volunteers in Kazakhstan. Since then, they have continued to dedicate their professional lives to public service, primarily in the field of education. They are the proud parents of two amazing ISD 621 students, Rocco (7th grade at Chippewa) and Frankie (3rd grade at Island Lake). And Jon coudn’t forget his four-legged family members who bring him so much joy, Berdie (120 lb Leonberger) and Luxie the Cat.
Jon enjoys spending time with his family outdoors in our beautiful state, hiking, attending festivals, and exploring our local parks. He is a self-proclaimed “Super Nerd” and has been able to share his love of Dungeons and Dragons, the Star Wars and Tolkien universes, and Pokémon with his children.
- Over 17 years of public sector experience in government budgeting, data analysis, and administration.
- Currently serving as the Early Childhood Special Education Data & Fiscal Manager at the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE).
- More than ten years of experience working in Minnesota school finance and data including supervising the general education funding team at MDE and serving as a school district finance director.
- Worked seven years at the New York City Office of Management and Budget overseeing multiple agencies’ budgets including FDNY and Parks.
School District Experience
- Formerly served as the Northeast Metro 916 Finance Director School Finance
- ECSE data manager
- Understands laws and operation of educational programs in the state and how schools are funded
- Professionally worked with Mounds View to improve funding for early childhood
- Strong financial management public finance background
- Minnesota Association of Professional Employees (MAPE) Union Steward
- Currently serving as Vice President of MAPE Local 1002
- Served two years as Membership Secretary of MAPE Local 1002
- Previously served on the MAPE Organizing Council.
- Previously served as the DFL Senate District 42 Treasurer.
- Served two years as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Kazakhstan as an English Teacher Trainer with the Ministry of Education.
- Master of Public Administration, New York University 2008
- Teacher Certification: Secondary Education, Grand Valley State University, 2003
- Bachelor of Arts Marketing, Michigan State University 2000